Tips in the Event of a Car Accident
The only thing people are told to do after an accident is call a lawyer referral service. There are some other things to consider, for health and safety. If you are involved in an accident, here are some tips on what you should actually do:
- Move to safety: If possible, move out of the way of traffic and put your hazard flashers on. Get away from more potential danger.
- Call the police: Even after a fender bender, always get a police report. If somebody is injured, let the police know, right away. If you see downed lines or any fire hazards, report them.
- Remain silent: Don’t discuss the details of your accident with anybody other than the police and your Caton Hosey agent, or carrier representative. Avoid confrontation with agitated parties.
- Exchange Information: If there is another motorist or involved or witness present, you should exchange information with them. Write down their contact information including name, phone number, address, driver’s license number, tag number and state. Take a picture of their ID and insurance card with your phone if possible.
- Report the accident: Let your Caton Hosey insurance agent know about the accident, or contact your carrier’s claim number (located on your insurance ID card) directly.
A good idea would be to print this blog post, and keep a copy with your registration and insurance. If you have any questions, you can always call us at 877.767.3161.